What is propolis?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Propolis is the resinous substance collected by bees from the leaf buds and barks of trees, especially poplar and conifer. The bees utilize the propolis along with beeswax to construct the hive. Propolis has antibiotic activities that help the hive block out viruses, bacteria, and other organisms. Propolis is yellow to brown, waxy, and bitter in flavor, and is used as an antimicrobial.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Don’t Take Supplements Without Doing This First
Think “all natural” means “perfectly safe”? That’s not always the case, at least when it comes to vitamins and supplements. In 2015, a study by the Ce...
Are any supplements bad for your health?
dotFITdotFIT
Based on individual physiology, (we are all slightly different), most anything could be bad for one’...
What supplements should I take if I'm on a slow-carb diet?
Tim FerrissTim Ferriss
I suggest potassium, magnesium, and calcium. This diet will cause you to lose excess water, and elec...
How Should Triphala Be Used As Part of a Weight-Loss Plan?