What is maple syrup?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Maple syrup is derived from various maple trees, such as the sugar maple (Acer saccharum), red maple (Acer rubrum), or black maple (Acer nigrum). In the process of making maple syrup, the bark of the maple is tapped, allowing the syrup to flow out. This nearly clear, almost tasteless liquid is subsequently boiled, which concentrates the sugar and creates the flavor and often-deep color of the syrup.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

News: More Than 700 Supplements Tainted With Prescription Drugs
Half of all US adults take dietary supplements, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, believing these pills, powders and drinks...
What is blackstrap molasses?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Blackstrap molasses, as its name suggests, is molasses that is dark brown, almost black, in hue. ...
Who should use whey as a protein supplement?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
When you were little you probably remember hearing talk about Little Miss Muffet eating her curds an...
How Can I Be Sure the Supplements I Buy Are Safe?