What is blackstrap molasses?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine
Blackstrap molasses, as its name suggests, is molasses that is dark brown, almost black, in hue.

Molasses is the syrupy dark liquid that comes from processing raw sugar into its more refined form. Blackstrap molasses is produced in the third cycle of boiling the sugar syrup. Once the sugar's sucrose has been crystallized, the syrup becomes more concentrated.

Featuring a robust bittersweet flavor, blackstrap molasses helps create the distinctive taste of baked beans and gingerbread.
Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Unapproved Prescription Drugs Sold in Supplements
When major league baseball suspended Alex Rodriguez for using performance-enhancing steroids, they also cleaned up clubhouses across the country. Too ...
What is propolis?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Propolis is the resinous substance collected by bees from the leaf buds and barks of trees, especial...
What are some supplements that can help with weight control?
dotFITdotFIT
In all studies, meal replacement bars and shakes have been shown to be an extremely effective weight...
How Do I Know If I Need a Supplement?
How Do I Know If I Need a Supplement?