What are the health consequences of carnitine deficiency?

The health consequences of carnitine deficiency include confusion, vomiting and muscle weakness, as well as an enlarged heart and even brain dysfunction. It raises the risk for heart failure, liver problems, coma and sudden death.

Most healthy adults make enough carnitine on their own. But 1 in 100,000 newborns have a genetic disorder that causes primary carnitine deficiency.

People can also develop a deficiency later in life, which is called secondary carnitine deficiency. It is caused by certain disorders, such as kidney failure, and taking certain medications.
Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Carnitine is synthesized from the amino acid lysine in the liver, kidney, and brain. It also requires adequate levels of iron and vitamin C. A deficiency of any of these factors will lead to a deficiency of carnitine. Carnitine deficiency is linked to a large number of heart disorders, including familial endocardial fibroelastosis, cardiac enlargement, congestive heart failure, and cardiac myopathies. All of these disorders respond to carnitine supplementation. A deficiency in carnitine results in decreased fatty acid concentrations in the mitochondria and reduced energy production for the cell.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Unapproved Prescription Drugs Sold in Supplements
When major league baseball suspended Alex Rodriguez for using performance-enhancing steroids, they also cleaned up clubhouses across the country. Too ...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking Spirulina?
You should let your doctor know if you are taking Spirulina. Since it can interact with other me...
What should I look for when buying supplements?
Rebecca S. ReevesRebecca S. Reeves
The FDA requires manufacturers of dietary supplements to provide the following information on produc...
What Should I Beware of Before Buying Vitamins and Supplements?