What are probiotic spores?

Probiotics are beneficial bacteria that can improve the bacterial makeup in your gut -- increasing healthy bacteria, which generally decreases potentially harmful ones (you have more bacteria inside your intestine than cells in your body). Probiotic spores are the dormant forms of these bacteria, and there is evidence that they may be particularly effective for gastrointestinal health. Some brands that use probiotic spores are Sustinex, Digestive Advantage, and Culturelle.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

4 Exercise Supplements That Just Don’t Work—and 4 That Really Do
Athletes are always looking for ways to move faster, become stronger and have more energy. Many view supplements as a way to give them the edge needed...
How do standards differ for nutritional supplements and medications?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Because the Food and Drug Administration evaluates nutritional supplements as a food rather than...
Can larch arabinogalactan cause an allergic reaction?
Larch arabinogalactan is a safe natural extract of the Larch tree. It's found in very low amounts in...
How Do I Know If I Need a Supplement?
How Do I Know If I Need a Supplement?