What are the functions of hemicelluloses?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Hemicelluloses, such as those found in oat bran, also promote regular bowel movements by increasing hydration of the stool. Hemicelluloses also directly bind cholesterol in the gut, preventing cholesterol absorption. Bacteria in the gut digest hemicelluloses, increasing the number of beneficial bacteria in the gut and creating short chain fatty acids, which colon cells use as fuel and decrease cholesterol.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

4 Exercise Supplements That Just Don’t Work—and 4 That Really Do
Athletes are always looking for ways to move faster, become stronger and have more energy. Many view supplements as a way to give them the edge needed...
Do ASUs have side effects?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
Although side effects can include rash and migraine headaches, ASU is generally well tolerated. The ...
What supplements should I avoid before surgery?
No matter how much you love 'em, you have to quit taking certain supplements for at least a week bef...
How Do I Know If I Need a Supplement?
How Do I Know If I Need a Supplement?