What are button mushrooms?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine
Button mushrooms generally look like tiny umbrellas, having a dense parasol-like cap attached to a stem that can be short and thick or thin and slightly curvy. There are three different types of button mushrooms -- white mushrooms, crimini mushrooms, and Portobello mushrooms -- all of which share the same scientific name, Agaricus bisporus. The white mushroom, the most common type, is the cream-colored mushroom that often adorns salads and is usually one to three inches across. It has a mild earthy flavor with a meaty texture. The crimini mushroom, which looks just like the button but is coffee colored, features a more distinctive and stronger flavor. The Portobello mushroom, whose large size, up to 8 inches across, and meaty flavor make it a wonderful vegetarian entre, is actually an overgrown crimini mushroom.

Button mushrooms are grown on straw-based compost in a controlled environment that is kept warm, moist, and dark, as well as free of other fungi that may parasitize the mushrooms.
Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Unapproved Prescription Drugs Sold in Supplements
When major league baseball suspended Alex Rodriguez for using performance-enhancing steroids, they also cleaned up clubhouses across the country. Too ...
What side effects does spirulina cause?
MediGuardMediGuard
Based on information from iGuard.org, a free medication monitoring service, 12% of patients experien...
What are coconut oil's side effects?
Speaking about theories, the theory of effortless weight loss sounds marvelous. But is coconut oil t...
How Do I Know If I Need a Supplement?
How Do I Know If I Need a Supplement?