Why is quality important if I take a fish oil supplement?

Dr. Robin Miller, MD
It is important to take good fish oil supplements to prevent exposure to toxins. Mercury used to be a concern many years ago but fish oil in the US is for the most part mercury free. However, recently high levels of PCB’s have been found in some of the popular brands of fish oil. Most of the products were from cod liver or shark liver. 

The liver is an organ that detoxifies the fish so it makes sense that these products would contain more toxins. PCB’s can increase the risk of cancer, birth defects and skin ailments. Therefore, it is important to take a good fish oil that is toxin free. In addition, poor quality fish oil often leaves a fishy after taste.   

Fish oil can lower triglycerides, improve mood and inflammation. So, it is important to take if your doctor recommends it. It is equally important that you become an educated consumer and find a good, toxin-free brand.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not review fish oil supplements -- or any supplements -- before they go to market. It is up to manufacturers to make sure that the product is safe and effective, contains the ingredients on the label and can live up to its health claims. It's possible that some fish oil supplements don't contain the amount or type of fish oil listed in the ingredients. A supplement could also contain contaminants.

Talk to your doctor before taking fish oil supplements and, if you decide to take them, choose a product from a well-known supplement manufacturer. Contact the manufacturer if you have questions or concerns.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Don’t Take Supplements Without Doing This First
Think “all natural” means “perfectly safe”? That’s not always the case, at least when it comes to vitamins and supplements. A study published by the ...
How do standards differ for nutritional supplements and medications?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Because the Food and Drug Administration evaluates nutritional supplements as a food rather than...
How does conventional medicine perceive nutritional supplements?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
I believe there is a bias in conventional medicine against nutritional supplements. Part of the reas...
How Can I Be Sure the Supplements I Buy Are Safe?