How should I take a medical nutrition supplement?

Most medical nutrition supplements are available in a liquid form, which can be swallowed. Most of these products can be refrigerated for up to 48 hours after opening, but they must be consumed within eight hours of sitting at room temperature. Remember to shake the bottle or can well before using. Other forms are available for people with difficulty swallowing or other conditions preventing the normal ingestion of food. Some medical nutrition supplements are available in a powder form, which is to be diluted in water and ingested orally or enterally through a feeding tube. If the supplement is to be diluted in water, make sure the correct amount of water is used. Products for enteral feeding must be used at room temperature.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

News: More Than 700 Supplements Tainted With Prescription Drugs
Half of all US adults take dietary supplements, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, believing these pills, powders and drinks...
What should I look for when buying supplements?
Rebecca S. ReevesRebecca S. Reeves
The FDA requires manufacturers of dietary supplements to provide the following information on produc...
What are the best food oils available in the U.S.?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Although far from ideal, the best oils commonly available in the U.S. are the cold-pressed, unrefine...
Are Nutritional Supplement Labels Accurate?