Should I take fish oil supplements for a healthy heart?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
The American Heart Association (AHA) recommends that people with heart disease consider taking a fish oil supplement if they are unable to consume 1 gram of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) daily by eating seafood. For people with high triglycerides, the AHA suggests fish oil capsules containing 2 to 4 grams of EPA and DHA per day. Remember to talk with your doctor ahead of time about whether you should take supplements. This is especially important if you are taking blood-thinning medications such as warfarin (Coumadin), since taking omega-3 supplements may lead to bleeding problems. Consider, however, that you may need to eat fish rather than just fish oil to enjoy its heart-healthy benefits.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

The Importance of Supplement Safety
The Importance of Supplement Safety
In 2002, the two-year-old daughter of Jude Law attended a children’s party at London’s Soho House Club. It was reported that while there, she swallowe...
How does coconut oil work to improve health?
Chris PowellChris Powell
A simple pre-meal concoction of coconut oil and water can help you feel fuller so you'll eat less. T...
What forms of barley are commonly available?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
The forms of barley available in the modern market include hulled barley, pearl barley (an intensely...
How Do I Correct Hormonal Deficiencies with Nutritional Supplements?