Should I take fish oil supplements for a healthy heart?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
The American Heart Association (AHA) recommends that people with heart disease consider taking a fish oil supplement if they are unable to consume 1 gram of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) daily by eating seafood. For people with high triglycerides, the AHA suggests fish oil capsules containing 2 to 4 grams of EPA and DHA per day. Remember to talk with your doctor ahead of time about whether you should take supplements. This is especially important if you are taking blood-thinning medications such as warfarin (Coumadin), since taking omega-3 supplements may lead to bleeding problems. Consider, however, that you may need to eat fish rather than just fish oil to enjoy its heart-healthy benefits.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Don’t Take Supplements Without Doing This First
Think “all natural” means “perfectly safe”? That’s not always the case, at least when it comes to vitamins and supplements. In 2015, a study by the Ce...
What is the nutritional value of tea?
Amy Jamieson-PetonicAmy Jamieson-Petonic
Tea is high in an antioxidant called catechins, which have been shown to help prevent or reduce the ...
What are the different forms of chocolate available?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Chocolate is available in many different forms, but the food and drug administration (FDA) has a cla...
How Can I Shop for Reputable Brands of Vitamins and Supplements?