Should I take branched chain amino acids (BCAA)?

Branched chain amino acids (BCAA) -- a primary component of muscle -- account for more than one-third of all amino acids in muscle protein. They're studied for a variety of purposes, including for aiding muscle recovery and decreasing effects of diabetes.

Since researchers found that people with certain liver diseases may have decreased levels of these branches amino acids circulating in their body, BCAA supplementation in liver patients has been studied.

So far, there's no evidence to suggest that they're helpful as a preventive means, but they could be helpful if you're suffering from advanced liver disease like advanced cirrhosis.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

News: More Than 700 Supplements Tainted With Prescription Drugs
Half of all US adults take dietary supplements, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, believing these pills, powders and drinks...
How effective is evening primrose oil?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Evening primrose oil increases the levels of an essential fatty acid in the body, which would be low...
What is the nutritional value of sea vegetables?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Sea vegetables offer the broadest range of minerals of any food, containing virtually all the minera...
How Can I Shop for Reputable Brands of Vitamins and Supplements?