What are the safety concerns regarding maple syrup?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine
No safety concerns are associated with maple syrup. Maple syrup is not a common allergenic food and does not contain goitrogens or purines. Since maple syrup contains small amounts of oxalates, which can bind to calcium in the urinary tract to form kidney stones, it should be limited or avoided by individuals prone to kidney stones.

Maple syrup is usually tapped from wild trees in the United States. However, only organically certified maple syrup is guaranteed to be free of agricultural chemicals.
Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Unapproved Prescription Drugs Sold in Supplements
When major league baseball suspended Alex Rodriguez for using performance-enhancing steroids, they also cleaned up clubhouses across the country. Too ...
Should I tell my cardiologist that I take a CoQ10 supplement?
Dr. Richard T. Leshner, DODr. Richard T. Leshner, DO
You should tell your cardiologist that you take a coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) supplement. CoQ10 may be used...
What should I know before taking Multitrace 5 Concentrate?
Before taking Multitrace 5 Concentrate, you should know that certain people could be at greater risk...
Naturally Suppress Cravings With the Dopamine Diet, Pt 3