What are the safety concerns associated with using rice?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Rice is one of the safest foods available. The hypoallergenic (low-allergy) nature of whole grain, organic brown rice makes it a commonly recommended grain alternative. Rice is also not a food that is commonly contaminated by pesticides. Brown rice does contain moderate amounts of oxalate, but white rice does not, as the oxalate is contained in the bran of the rice. Individuals with a history of calcium oxalate-containing kidney stones should limit their consumption of brown rice.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

The Importance of Supplement Safety
The Importance of Supplement Safety
In 2002, the two-year-old daughter of Jude Law attended a children’s party at London’s Soho House Club. It was reported that while there, she swallowe...
What are the best supplements for a man?
The most important thing is to get a well-balanced diet with natural vitamins and minerals. If y...
What are some supplements that can help with weight control?
dotFITdotFIT
In all studies, meal replacement bars and shakes have been shown to be an extremely effective weight...
How Can I Be Sure the Supplements I Buy Are Safe?