What is the nutritional value of yogurt?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Like other milk products, yogurt is a very good source of protein, calcium, phosphorous, riboflavin, and vitamin B12. It is also a good source of pantothenic acid, biotin, selenium, zinc, and potassium. A 31/2ounce (100 gram) serving of low-fat yogurt provides 63 calories, 5.3 grams of protein, 6 milligrams of cholesterol, 1.6 grams of fat, and 7 grams of carbohydrate, mostly as lactose. Frozen yogurt provides 127 calories, 3 grams of protein, 13 milligrams of cholesterol, 3.6 grams of fat, and 21.6 grams of carbohydrate, mostly as sugars.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...
Amy Jamieson-Petonic
Yogurt is a good source of calcium and protein. The Recommended Daily Intake for calcium for most adults is 1,000- 1,200 milligrams per day. You can get as much as 300-400 milligrams of calcium in one cup of non-fat, plain Greek yogurt, and protein as well. 

Try one of my favorite snacks: one cup of non-fat Greek yogurt with fresh strawberries, blueberries and raspberries and one tablespoon of chia seed. This is so good!

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Unapproved Prescription Drugs Sold in Supplements
When major league baseball suspended Alex Rodriguez for using performance-enhancing steroids, they also cleaned up clubhouses across the country. Too ...
What are avocado soybean unsaponifiables?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
Avocado soybean unsaponifiables (ASU) has been prescribed in France as A1S2 or piascledine since the...
What are coconut oil's side effects?
Speaking about theories, the theory of effortless weight loss sounds marvelous. But is coconut oil t...
How Do I Correct Hormonal Deficiencies with Nutritional Supplements?