Should I let my doctor know I’m taking fish oil?

Kimberly A. Parks, DO

You should always speak with your doctor before taking fish oil supplements. There are certain medications or conditions that may be adversely affected by fish oil. It is safe to ingest fish oil if you're pregnant; however, it is not advisable for pregnant women to eat fish that have high mercury levels. Fish oil may not be safe in patients who have problems with bleeding and higher doses should be avoided in people with poorly controlled diabetes. 

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

The Importance of Supplement Safety
The Importance of Supplement Safety
In 2002, the two-year-old daughter of Jude Law attended a children’s party at London’s Soho House Club. It was reported that while there, she swallowe...
Should I let my doctor know I’m taking a medical nutrition supplement?
Vandana  R. ShethVandana R. Sheth
Absolutely! In fact, it is better to first discuss your interest in taking a medical nutrition suppl...
What is ice cream?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Ice cream is a frozen food made from a mixture of milk, cream, and nonfat milk combined with sweeten...
How Does Coconut Oil Work to Improve Health?