Should I let my doctor know I’m taking fish oil?

Kimberly A. Parks, DO

You should always speak with your doctor before taking fish oil supplements. There are certain medications or conditions that may be adversely affected by fish oil. It is safe to ingest fish oil if you're pregnant; however, it is not advisable for pregnant women to eat fish that have high mercury levels. Fish oil may not be safe in patients who have problems with bleeding and higher doses should be avoided in people with poorly controlled diabetes. 

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Dietary Supplements

Whether you're visiting the drug store, grocery or natural food shop you'll likely find an aisle where there are jars and bottles of things for you to put in your body that are neither foods nor medicines. Ranging from vitamins an...

d minerals to fiber and herbal remedies, these supplements are not regulated in the same way as either food or medicine. Some of them are backed by solid research, others are folk remedies or proprietary cures. If your diet does not include enough of certain vitamins or minerals, a supplement may be a good idea. Natural treatment for conditions like constipation may be effective. But because these substances are unregulated, it is always a good idea to educate yourself about the products and to use common sense when taking them. This is even more true if you are pregnant or taking a medicine that may be affected by supplements.