Is there a certain schedule in taking supplements?

Basically, you would follow the directions on each container assuming they are accurate in having you ingest the product in a manner that would allow the best results. Most people can take their health supplements with meals all at once, unless directions on the bottle specifically state not to -- which may be the case for iron supplements. For example, a multivitamin and mineral formula (MVM), an omega-3 fish oil capsule and a calcium supplement are considered health supplements and all can be taken at the same meal. If your health professional tells you that you need to add 1,000 mg per day of calcium in the form of a supplement, you would take it in two doses: 1 - 500mg tablet with a morning meal and 1 with an evening meal for best results.

If you are taking fitness related supplements, they are generally very specific on when you take them throughout the day based on exercise times or best times for complete absorption -- i.e. ingested with or without food or on an empty stomach.

Below is an example of a typical health and performance program instructions for many NBA players:

Active multivitamin mineral formula (2 tabs daily)
  • Take 1 tab with a meal twice daily
Super Omega 3 Fish Oil
  • 1 tab daily with a meal when not consuming fish
Superior Antioxidant
  • 1 tab daily with a meal
Super Calcium
  • Use if you do not meet the daily needs of calcium (~1000-1200 mg) and Vitamin D (1000 IU) from sunlight, multivitamin and food intake. Take accordingly with meals
Training Supplements AminoBoostXXL (before and after training/games only)
  • Take 2 scoops 10-30 min before workout (may add a Gatorade-type product)
  • Take 2 scoops immediately following workout
  • Take 2 scoops within the same window of time as the AminoBoost: 10-30min before workout or use favorite dotFIT® bar for convenience in place of the shake
  • Take 2 scoops 20min post workout (or 2 bars if more convenient)
Pre/Post Workout Shake
  • Use anytime as a meal if necessary

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

The Importance of Supplement Safety
The Importance of Supplement Safety
In 2002, the two-year-old daughter of Jude Law attended a children’s party at London’s Soho House Club. It was reported that while there, she swallowe...
Is eating chocolate good for my heart?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
Research on cocoa’s cardiovascular benefits suggests that it can, in moderation, be beneficial. H...
What are the benefits of nutritional supplements?
Jessica CrandallJessica Crandall
If you are lacking specific nutrients in your diet or if you have a higher need for certain nutrient...
How Do I Know If I Need a Supplement?
How Do I Know If I Need a Supplement?