Is spirulina regulated by the FDA?

Spirulina is a dietary supplement, which means the FDA does not test it for safety and effectiveness, although it can take action if there is a safety issue. The FDA has not evaluated spirulina as a treatment for any medical condition.

Some spirulina grown in contaminated water can have toxic levels of heavy metals and damage your liver. The FDA does not guarantee its safety. 

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

News: More Than 700 Supplements Tainted With Prescription Drugs
Half of all US adults take dietary supplements, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, believing these pills, powders and drinks...
How should goat's milk be stored?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Goat's milk can sour quickly if not refrigerated. Do not store goat's milk in the refrigerator door,...
What is the nutritional value of tea?
Both green and black teas contain relatively high amounts of vitamins C, D, and K and riboflavin, as...
Should I Tell My Doctor About the Supplements I'm Taking?