Is Hydroxycut approved by the FDA?

If there are so many concerns about Hydroxycut, how did it ever get on the market?

That is the way the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has set it up. Products that have been proven to prevent or cure a disease are monitored by the FDA, which must approve the drugs before they reach the market. Diet supplements, like Hydroxycut, on the other hand, do not require FDA approval before reaching market. So even though Hydroxycut has been blamed for more than 20 reports of liver-related ailments, including the death of a teenager, and though heart and muscle problems have been blamed on Hydroxycut, it was still allowed on the market. It was only after it was on the market that the FDA took action.

GlaxoSmithKline PLC, a huge drug maker, is asking the FDA to make companies that manufacture dietary supplements prove their products are safe and effective before hitting market. GlaxoSmithKline is not doing this out of a sense of duty and humanity. It makes Alli, the top-selling non-prescription diet supplement, which does have FDA approval because it is considered a medication. Of course, companies that make diet supplements are crying foul, saying GlaxoSmithKline is just trying to keep the competition at bay.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

The Importance of Supplement Safety
The Importance of Supplement Safety
In 2002, the two-year-old daughter of Jude Law attended a children’s party at London’s Soho House Club. It was reported that while there, she swallowe...
What supplements should I take to help me burn more fat?
Watch this video to learn more from Dr. Mehmet Oz about burning fat.  
Which supplement can boost my metabolism?
If your expanding belly is the result of a slowing metabolism, then 7-Keto may be the supplement...
Are Nutritional Supplement Labels Accurate?