Are artificial "foods" safe?

In our quest to eat less sugar, less fat, fewer carbohydrates, or fewer calories, many of us turn to artificial sweeteners and fake fats. Products such as NutraSweet (aspartame), Splenda (sucralose), and Olestra (an artificial fat) have all been approved by the FDA under great pressure from the food industry, at least once against expert recommendation. Because they have been used for such a short time, we really do not understand their long-term effects on human health.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...
Marjorie Nolan Cohn

Research is conflicting on the safety of artificial "foods." In general, science demonstrated that natural, whole foods are the most nutritious and therefore the safest to eat. Chances are you will not die, or have any major health problems if you eat artificial foods sometimes. The consensus of health professionals is to consume artificial foods, or foods with artificial ingredients as infrequently as possible.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

4 Exercise Supplements That Just Don’t Work—and 4 That Really Do
Athletes are always looking for ways to move faster, become stronger and have more energy. Many view supplements as a way to give them the edge needed...
What forms of barley are commonly available?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
The forms of barley available in the modern market include hulled barley, pearl barley (an intensely...
What are some supplements that can help with weight control?
dotFITdotFIT
In all studies, meal replacement bars and shakes have been shown to be an extremely effective weight...
How Do I Know If I Need a Supplement?
How Do I Know If I Need a Supplement?