How should I take daily vitamin D supplements if I'm an older adult?

F. Michael Gloth, III
Geriatric Medicine
The best way to take vitamin D has not yet been determined. Because it is a fat-soluble vitamin, taking daily supplements is not the only option. If daily dosing is chosen, it should consist of at least 800 I.U. per day, with doses of 1,600-2,000 I.U. per day for older individuals who are deprived of exposure to sunlight. Another option is to use less frequent megadoses of 50,000 I.U. of vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol). Taking two such tablets once monthly is probably the easiest and cheapest way to take vitamin D.

Consult your physician or other healthcare professional before taking vitamin D more frequently, because of the serious possibility that vitamin D toxicity can lead to the development of markedly elevated calcium levels (hypercalcemia), which can have serious health consequences.

Vitamin D supplements can be recommended for many older adults, especially people who receive limited exposure to sunlight, such as those living in a long-term care setting.
Fit at Fifty and Beyond: A Balanced Exercise and Nutrition Program (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

As people reach their fifties, the body’s metabolism slows. Without a change in eating or exercise habits, it’s common to put on weight and become less able to perform routine physical...

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

News: More Than 700 Supplements Tainted With Prescription Drugs
Half of all US adults take dietary supplements, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, believing these pills, powders and drinks...
When was grain farming discovered?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Grains were among the first cultivated crops. In fact, archaeological evidence shows that wheat and ...
What are the safety concerns regarding chocolate?
Chocolate can produce a stimulant effect and lead to feelings of nervousness and anxiety in some peo...
What Supplements Strengthen Hair?
What Supplements Strengthen Hair?