How should I consume probiotics?

Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
Before probiotics became the food trend they are today, reliable food sources of probiotics included fermented foods such as: kimchi, raw sauerkraut, pickles, miso/natto, cultured vegetables, yogurts, aged cheese, and kefir. Today, a rapidly growing number of food products (not fermented foods) are marketing themselves as containing probiotics.

This raises two issues: a) Can/do they support live bacteria in their product and b) Should they? It is my opinion that we don't need to be eating foods that added probiotics to them -- there is no danger, and in fact they could do good if the probiotic is viable (live) -- but the question is about need and dietary diversity. We don't need cereals that contain probiotics -- our cereals can be our fiber and other nutrient sources and if we want probiotic we can eat some yogurt with the cereal. We can choose from the above list of foods that naturally contain probiotics. If we are allergic to one, don't like the taste of another, we can move on to a different one on the list.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Don’t Take Supplements Without Doing This First
Think “all natural” means “perfectly safe”? That’s not always the case, at least when it comes to vitamins and supplements. In 2015, a study by the Ce...
Should I let my doctor know I’m taking a medical nutrition supplement?
Vandana  R. ShethVandana R. Sheth
Absolutely! In fact, it is better to first discuss your interest in taking a medical nutrition suppl...
What are the best sleep-promoting supplements?
Two common supplements can help you fall asleep and sleep more soundly, says integrative medicin...
How Does Coconut Oil Work to Improve Health?