How can I shop for reputable brands of vitamins and supplements?

Vitamins and supplements are considered foods, not medicines, by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. So they're not closely regulated. Unfortunately, there is no way to be sure your vitamins are of high quality. You can improve the chances of getting vitamins that contain what they claim to contain and don't contain harmful substances by checking for the following seals on the label: NSF International, U.S. Pharmacopeia or Consumer Lab. It's also safer to buy from U.S. companies and companies that have brand recognition.
Tod Cooperman, MD
Health Education
When shopping for reputable brands of vitamins and supplements, avoid products that are sold exclusively online; products found in stores are more reliable. Watch me explain some guidelines to keep in mind.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Don’t Take Supplements Without Doing This First
Think “all natural” means “perfectly safe”? That’s not always the case, at least when it comes to vitamins and supplements. In 2015, a study by the Ce...
Why is wheat the best suited for bread making?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
One of the key reasons why wheat is best suited for bread making in comparison to other grains is it...
What supplements should I take after a heart attack?
Walgreens pharmacist Stacia Woodcock explains what supplements are commonly taken after a heart at...
What Should I Beware of Before Buying Vitamins and Supplements?