How can probiotics reduce stomach bloating?

Probiotics are made up of "good" living bacteria similar to those that naturally exist in the body and aid with digestive health. Probiotics regulate the amount of healthy bacteria in your system and normalize bowel movements. Through nutritional supplements or probiotic-enriched food sources like yogurt, miso, soy drinks, and juices, probiotics can be integrated into your diet. Look for "live and active cultures" listed on their packaging labels.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
Probiotics -- live bacteria that are similar to or the same as bacteria that exist naturally in your intestinal tract -- may help reduce stomach bloating. They're available in supplement form and in some foods, notably some yogurts.

Sometimes called "good bacteria," probiotics may be able to reduce stomach bloating and other gastrointestinal symptoms by restoring the proper balance to the community of bacteria in your gastrointestinal tract. Although the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not approved any health claims for probiotics, some research indicates they may be useful in preventing and treating diarrhea in children and in reducing symptoms in people with irritable bowel syndrome. They may be helpful for other conditions as well. Talk to your doctor to see if probiotics are worth a try for you and, if so, the best way for you to consume them.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

News: More Than 700 Supplements Tainted With Prescription Drugs
Half of all US adults take dietary supplements, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, believing these pills, powders and drinks...
Why do I smell like garlic after I eat it?
Garlic is good for you, but it can leave its tell-tale smell behind. In this video, Dr. Oz revea...
Why do we know so little about nutritional supplements?
Alan GabyAlan Gaby
We actually know an enormous amount about nutritional supplements. My recently published textbook, N...
Get Vitamin E from Food, Not Dietary Supplements