What dosage of creatine supplement is typically used for adults?

How much creatine you take depends on your reason for taking it. Some sample guidelines are below, but always speak to your doctor before adding a new supplement to your regimen.
  • For improved athletic performance, a "loading dose" is typically used, followed by a maintenance dose of 2 grams (g) per day. Different loading regimens have been tried: 20 g per day for five days, 9 g for six days, or 3 g for 28 days. It isn't clear that any particular regimen is best.
  • To treat heart failure, take 20 g per day for five to 10 days.
  • For Parkinson's disease, take 10 g per day regularly. Another schedule that has been used is to start with 20 g per day for six days followed by 2 g a day for six months and then 4 g a day for 18 months.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

4 Exercise Supplements That Just Don’t Work—and 4 That Really Do
Athletes are always looking for ways to move faster, become stronger and have more energy. Many view supplements as a way to give them the edge needed...
What supplements should I avoid before surgery?
No matter how much you love 'em, you have to quit taking certain supplements for at least a week bef...
How can I choose quality herbal supplements?
Tod Cooperman, MDTod Cooperman, MD
There is a lot to check before you purchase (and swallow) an herbal supplement; unfortunately, you c...
How Do I Correct Hormonal Deficiencies with Nutritional Supplements?