How do I know if I have a good quality fish oil?

Fish oil supplements are regulated as dietary supplements by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). That means the manufacturer is responsible for making sure the product is safe. Since fish often contain contaminants such as mercury or PCBs, fish oil may contain these contaminants too. Many manufacturers use special techniques to remove such contaminants from their fish oil supplements. Check the label, and buy from a reputable manufacturer.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Dietary Supplements

Whether you're visiting the drug store, grocery or natural food shop you'll likely find an aisle where there are jars and bottles of things for you to put in your body that are neither foods nor medicines. Ranging from vitamins an...

d minerals to fiber and herbal remedies, these supplements are not regulated in the same way as either food or medicine. Some of them are backed by solid research, others are folk remedies or proprietary cures. If your diet does not include enough of certain vitamins or minerals, a supplement may be a good idea. Natural treatment for conditions like constipation may be effective. But because these substances are unregulated, it is always a good idea to educate yourself about the products and to use common sense when taking them. This is even more true if you are pregnant or taking a medicine that may be affected by supplements.