How is honey healthier than table sugar?

Kate Geagan
Honey is significantly sweeter than table sugar (about 25% sweeter), meaning you’re satisfied with less. This can shave calories off of your morning cup of tea, your oatmeal (just add a drizzle), or even the amount of sweetener you need in a recipe when baking.

Another plus? Honey has long been loved by athletes as a source of a lower glycemic carbohydrate, which means it enters your bloodstream more slowly than other refined sugars, giving you sustained energy to power your performance. In ancient Greece, athletes feasted on honey and figs prior to the Olympic competitions; today, my colleague, a sports nutritionist for the Kansas City Royals, has her pro ball players eat honey sandwiches (with all-natural peanut butter and whole wheat bread) for sustained energy prior to a game.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Don’t Take Supplements Without Doing This First
Think “all natural” means “perfectly safe”? That’s not always the case, at least when it comes to vitamins and supplements. In 2015, a study by the Ce...
Does larch arabinogalactan really support the immune system?
Several studies have found that larch arabinogalactan may support the immune system through a variet...
What dosage of evening primrose oil is typically used for adults?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Evening primrose oil is available in capsules or as oil. A recommended dosage for adults in 2 to 8 g...
How Can I Be Sure the Supplements I Buy Are Safe?