How does silymarin work?

Silymarin works to help treat liver problems by helping to protect it. This protection helps to improve the liver's function. In people that have cholesterol, silymarin helps to reduce bad cholesterol levels. If you have prostate, cervical, or breast cancer, silymarin can help to reduce the growth of cancer cells. Diabetics may reduce their resistance to insulin with silymarin use. There are also claims that silymarin has anti-inflammatory effects.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

What's a Detox Supplement—and Does It Work?
“Toxins.” These shapeless, typically unnamed evils are said to exist everywhere and make us sick, giving rise to a booming industry of detox supplemen...
What is the nutritional value of honey?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Honey is a source of riboflavin and vitamin B6. It also provides iron and manganese. A 3.5 oz. (100 ...
Does larch arabinogalactan really support the immune system?
Several studies have found that larch arabinogalactan may support the immune system through a variet...
Should I Tell My Doctor About the Supplements I'm Taking?