How did pumpkin seeds originate?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Big pumpkins, and their small seeds, were a distinguished food of the Native American Indians. These peoples used the pumpkin seed for both nutrition and making medicine. Pumpkin seeds had a reputation of being able to treat worms. European explorers took these seeds back to the Old World, where they were appreciated for their value and taste. Although used in many cuisines, the Mexicans have especially developed a special taste and purpose for the pumpkin seed. As more scientific research underscores the benefits of the pumpkin seed, its popularity will most certainly increase in years to come. The top producers of pumpkins and pumpkin seeds are the United States, China, Mexico, and India.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Take This Supplement to Boost Your Brain Health
“To catch a fish, think like a fish.” That’s an aphorism repeated over and over in NY Times opinion pieces, YouTube videos and online seminars for ent...
What are the different forms of chocolate available?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Chocolate is available in many different forms, but the food and drug administration (FDA) has a cla...
Which supplement can boost my metabolism?
If your expanding belly is the result of a slowing metabolism, then 7-Keto may be the supplement...
Should I Tell My Doctor About the Supplements I'm Taking?