How can I take fish oil?

Fish oil supplements come in the form of a capsule to be taken orally. Do not break open the capsule if you cannot swallow it whole. Fish oil works best if it is taken with food. Follow the instructions on the label carefully. Do not take more fish oil than your doctor says you should take. The American Heart Association recommends that healthy adults eat fish at least twice a week to get the full benefits of omega-3 fatty acids in their diets. Talk to your doctor to learn which dosage of fish oil can benefit you the most. You may have to schedule follow-up appointments with your doctor to run blood tests that check levels of triglyceride or cholesterol. Do not miss any follow-up appointments, as your doctor can make sure fish oil is not causing any adverse effects.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Unapproved Prescription Drugs Sold in Supplements
When major league baseball suspended Alex Rodriguez for using performance-enhancing steroids, they also cleaned up clubhouses across the country. Too ...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking Spirulina?
You should let your doctor know if you are taking Spirulina. Since it can interact with other me...
What are the benefits of nutritional supplements?
Jessica CrandallJessica Crandall
If you are lacking specific nutrients in your diet or if you have a higher need for certain nutrient...
How Can I Shop for Reputable Brands of Vitamins and Supplements?