How can I include probiotics in my diet?

Some yogurts contain probiotics; however, because they are sensitive to oxygen, light, and dramatic temperature changes, make sure to look for yogurts with “live and active cultures.” Many commercial yogurts are heat-treated or pasteurized, resulting in the loss of these valuable cultures.

If you are seeking nondairy yogurt options, there are several that contain live probiotic cultures. Yogurts made from rice, soy, and coconut milk are available on the market and contain added probiotics that can provide the same benefits. Other alternative sources of probiotics include eating fermented foods like brewer’s yeast, miso, sauerkraut, or micro-algae. Whatever the source, always look for “live and active cultures” on the label.

If you want to supercharge your probiotic friends, you may want to feed them with prebiotics. That’s P-R-E-biotics. They nourish the good bacteria in your gut in order to keep them healthy against the bad bacteria. They should go hand-in-hand with probiotics. Prebiotics are found in many foods, including bananas, whole grains, honey, garlic, and onions. Try to get two to four servings of these prebiotic-rich foods a day.

In order to reap the full benefits of taking probiotics, some experts recommend taking probiotic-rich food or a probiotic supplement for a minimum of two weeks. Try it and see if you notice a difference!

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Don’t Take Supplements Without Doing This First
Think “all natural” means “perfectly safe”? That’s not always the case, at least when it comes to vitamins and supplements. In 2015, a study by the Ce...
How can I ensure the quality of my vitamins or supplements?
Tod Cooperman, MDTod Cooperman, MD
To ensure the quality of your vitamins or supplements, there is a home test you can try, you can loo...
Why doesn't the Federal Drug Administration regulate herbs?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
In short, the Federal Drug Administration does not regulate herbs because the herbal ingredients fou...
Is There Scientific Evidence to Support Nutritional Supplementation?