How can I include chia in my diet?

Vandana  R. Sheth

Simple tips on adding chia into your diet:

• Sprinkle in salads, soups, yogurt, cereal
  • Add to smoothies
  • Enjoy as a pudding
  • Add to foods when baking
  • Add 1-2 oz. to a bottle of water/juice and enjoy later. Chia seeds absorb ~10times their weight in water and so swell up and add a "tapioca" like feel to the water/juice. 
Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
Chia is from a plant (salvia hispanica) in the mint family. The seed contains a good source of fiber and vegetarian omega 3 fatty acids. Because it's so easy to add it into the diet we don't need to take it in a pill supplement form that only provides the oil (not the fiber) but rather add it to the diet by eating or drinking it in foods -- so think of it as a dietary "booster". That said, for those downing fiber supplements daily, I enjoy adding chia to water and have this instead of a synthetic fiber supplement. Also, there's great opportunity to add chia to quality convenience foods like pretzels and bars to increase fiber and essential fatty acid content from a whole food source. Especially for those following a gluten-free diet, chia can help them meet the daily need for fiber that they share with all but often struggle to get from grains and grain products.

Whether added to already nutritious foods like a spinach egg white scramble, an antioxidant rich berry and Greek yogurt parfait, or notably more nutrient poor -- white bread -- chia is providing a nutritional upgrade.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Dietary Supplements

Whether you're visiting the drug store, grocery or natural food shop you'll likely find an aisle where there are jars and bottles of things for you to put in your body that are neither foods nor medicines. Ranging from vitamins an...

d minerals to fiber and herbal remedies, these supplements are not regulated in the same way as either food or medicine. Some of them are backed by solid research, others are folk remedies or proprietary cures. If your diet does not include enough of certain vitamins or minerals, a supplement may be a good idea. Natural treatment for conditions like constipation may be effective. But because these substances are unregulated, it is always a good idea to educate yourself about the products and to use common sense when taking them. This is even more true if you are pregnant or taking a medicine that may be affected by supplements.