How can I select oats?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

With a lipid profile of approximately 20 percent saturated fat and 80 percent polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats, oats have a slightly higher fat content than other grains and can go rancid more quickly, so buy small quantities at a time. They are available prepackaged, as well as in bulk. If you purchase already prepared oats, look at the ingredients list to ensure there is no salt, sugar, or other additives. If you buy oats in bulk, make sure that the bins are covered and that the store has a fast product turnover to ensure maximum freshness. Check the oats' aroma to make sure they are fresh. Fresh oats have a clean, sweet, or grassy smell, whereas spoiled oats have a sharper, unpleasant odor.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

What's a Detox Supplement—and Does It Work?
“Toxins.” These shapeless, typically unnamed evils are said to exist everywhere and make us sick, giving rise to a booming industry of detox supplemen...
What nutritional supplements are available for kidney health?
Julie DanilukJulie Daniluk
One of the most important things you can do for your kidneys is to not spike your blood sugar. When ...
How can herbal supplements and the medical establishment collide?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
A 2003 study found that 70 percent of patients who used herbs did not tell their doctors that they u...
How Can I Shop for Reputable Brands of Vitamins and Supplements?