Is fish oil used to treat schizophrenia?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
While antipsychotic medications and psychosocial therapy are the best treatments for schizophrenia, fish oil may benefit some people with schizophrenia. Omega-3 fatty acids, found in fish oil and some plant and nut oils, have been shown to help some people with schizophrenia. Several clinical trials have shown that fish oil might offer some benefits for schizophrenia. However, further research needs to be done before we understand exactly how it helps. People taking any medications, including antipsychotic medications, should discuss all supplements with a doctor before use. This can help to reduce any potentially harmful drug interactions.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

The Importance of Supplement Safety
The Importance of Supplement Safety
In 2002, the two-year-old daughter of Jude Law attended a children’s party at London’s Soho House Club. It was reported that while there, she swallowe...
What is the nutritional value of button mushrooms?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
White button mushrooms are an excellent source of many minerals, including selenium, copper, potassi...
What are coconut oil's side effects?
Speaking about theories, the theory of effortless weight loss sounds marvelous. But is coconut oil t...
What Should I Beware of Before Buying Vitamins and Supplements?