How do I select fresh arugula?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Arugula is available all year long, but production peaks from June through December. Arugula thrives in the cooler weather of late spring and fall, which are the best seasons to purchase this tangy green treat since, in the heat of late summer, arugula tends to bolt and to develop a very sharp flavor. Like all greens, arugula is highly perishable and should be displayed under refrigeration or on ice. Also, like other greens, arugula should be fresh and crisp, especially the stems. The leaves should be dark green, never yellow. Avoid wilted greens or leaves that have brown or yellow edges, or dark or slimy spots.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Take This Supplement to Boost Your Brain Health
“To catch a fish, think like a fish.” That’s an aphorism repeated over and over in NY Times opinion pieces, YouTube videos and online seminars for ent...
What supplements can I take daily to promote good health?
Joane GoodroeJoane Goodroe
This is Dr. Oz’s list of critical vitamins that every woman should be taking. Visit his website for ...
How does yogurt help to lower blood cholesterol levels?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
The blood cholesterol-lowering effect of fermented milk was demonstrated more than 30 years ago duri...
How Do I Know If I Need a Supplement?
How Do I Know If I Need a Supplement?