What are some common varieties of rice sold in the U.S.?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Some of the most popular varieties of rice in this country include:

• Arborio: A round, short-grain, starchy white rice, traditionally used to make the Italian dish risotto.
  • Basmati: An aromatic rice that has a nut-like fragrance, delicate flavor, and light texture.
  • Sweet rice: Almost translucent when it is cooked, this very sticky short-grain rice is traditionally used to make sushi and mochi.
  • Jasmine: A soft-textured, long-grain, aromatic rice that is available in both brown and white varieties.
  • Bhutanese red rice: Grown in the Himalayas, this red rice has a nutty, earthy taste.
  • Forbidden rice: A black-colored, short-grain rice that turns purple upon cooking; it has a sweet taste and sticky texture.
Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

News: More Than 700 Supplements Tainted With Prescription Drugs
Half of all US adults take dietary supplements, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, believing these pills, powders and drinks...
How can I take spirulina?
dotFITdotFIT
Spirulina is found in capsules and taken orally. One gram daily for 12 days has been used in the pas...
What are the best sleep-promoting supplements?
Two common supplements can help you fall asleep and sleep more soundly, says integrative medicin...
How Do I Correct Hormonal Deficiencies with Nutritional Supplements?