How can coenzyme Q10 increase muscle performance?

Neal Spruce
Neal Spruce on behalf of dotFIT
Fitness
Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ-10) is a naturally occurring compound found in our body’s cells that is intricately involved in energy production. Therefore, as the theory goes, if you can increase your levels of CoQ-10, we may be able to increase energy production/performance. Recent studies seem to support this notion for certain activities and test subjects. Also, as we age CoQ-10 levels decrease, making CoQ-10 supplementation potentially helpful in reducing fatigue in endurance activities/exercise in older people or those with compromised cardiovascular systems. Because CoQ-10 also works as an antioxidant, it may have the ability to reduce muscle damage caused by exercise.

The amount of CoQ-10 supplemented in 3 recent studies that demonstrated enhanced performance (delayed fatigue and reduction in oxidative stress) when compared to a placebo was between 100-300 milligrams per day.
The supplement coenzyme Q10 is an essential part of your cells that is responsible for energy conversion (it converts glucose to ATP, the energy that powers your cellular functions). In a few studies, CoQ10 improved performance by 10 to 30 percent, and it can help protect muscles from oxidative stress. The main challenge is finding pills that really have the CoQ10 promised on the label.
YOU: On A Diet Revised Edition: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management

For the first time in our history, scientists are uncovering astounding medical evidence about dieting -- and why so many of us struggle with our weight and the size of our waists. Now researchers...

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

The Importance of Supplement Safety
The Importance of Supplement Safety
In 2002, the two-year-old daughter of Jude Law attended a children’s party at London’s Soho House Club. It was reported that while there, she swallowe...
What dosage of larch arabinogalactan is typically used for adults?
No adverse effects related to fetal development during pregnancy or breastfeeding have been reported...
What should I look for when buying supplements?
Rebecca S. ReevesRebecca S. Reeves
The FDA requires manufacturers of dietary supplements to provide the following information on produc...
What Should I Beware of Before Buying Vitamins and Supplements?