What are the health benefits of chia seed?

Ms. Ashley Koff, RD

Chia seeds are a great source of fiber, but that's not all. In this video, registered dietitian Ashley Koff reveals another reason why she's a fan of chia seeds.

Chia Pets may have no apparent purpose, but chia seed? Now, that's something to get excited about. Chia--a harvested, unprocessed, nutty-tasting, nutrient-dense seed with omega-3 fatty acids--has among the highest antioxidant activity of any whole food, some people claiming it even beats fresh blueberries. One small study showed that up to 24 grams of chia seed eaten in bread decreased the sharp blood sugar spike seen two hours after eating. Another study showed that chia lowers blood pressure and other risk factors for heart disease. My recommendation: two daily doses of about 20 grams of seeds each.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...
Used by the Aztecs as their main energy source, chia seeds contain omega-3 fatty acids, calcium, magnesium and protein and may decrease inflammation. Plus, many people claim that chia's fiber keeps them from overeating by making them feel fuller longer.

Vandana  R. Sheth

Some of the health benefits of Chia seeds include:

• Decrease in blood pressure and c-reactive protein (an inflammation marker) in people who have Type 2 Diabetes
  • Decrease in Total cholesterol, LDL (bad) cholesterol, and Triglycerides
  • Increase in HDL (good) cholesterol
  • They might also help with our sleep-wake cycle

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

What's a Detox Supplement—and Does It Work?
“Toxins.” These shapeless, typically unnamed evils are said to exist everywhere and make us sick, giving rise to a booming industry of detox supplemen...
What should I avoid while taking a nutritional supplement?
While taking a nutritional supplement, avoid taking more of the supplement than you need to. If...
Does larch arabinogalactan help with digestion?
Larch arabinogalactan contains prebiotic fiber that promotes digestive health. Prebiotic fiber can i...
What Should I Beware of Before Buying Vitamins and Supplements?