What are the health benefits of chia seed?

Vandana  R. Sheth

Some of the health benefits of Chia seeds include:

• Decrease in blood pressure and c-reactive protein (an inflammation marker) in people who have Type 2 Diabetes
  • Decrease in Total cholesterol, LDL (bad) cholesterol, and Triglycerides
  • Increase in HDL (good) cholesterol
  • They might also help with our sleep-wake cycle
Used by the Aztecs as their main energy source, chia seeds contain omega-3 fatty acids, calcium, magnesium and protein and may decrease inflammation. Plus, many people claim that chia's fiber keeps them from overeating by making them feel fuller longer.

Ms. Ashley Koff, RD

Chia seeds are a great source of fiber, but that's not all. In this video, registered dietitian Ashley Koff reveals another reason why she's a fan of chia seeds.

Chia Pets may have no apparent purpose, but chia seed? Now, that's something to get excited about. Chia--a harvested, unprocessed, nutty-tasting, nutrient-dense seed with omega-3 fatty acids--has among the highest antioxidant activity of any whole food, some people claiming it even beats fresh blueberries. One small study showed that up to 24 grams of chia seed eaten in bread decreased the sharp blood sugar spike seen two hours after eating. Another study showed that chia lowers blood pressure and other risk factors for heart disease. My recommendation: two daily doses of about 20 grams of seeds each.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

4 Exercise Supplements That Just Don’t Work—and 4 That Really Do
Athletes are always looking for ways to move faster, become stronger and have more energy. Many view supplements as a way to give them the edge needed...
What is coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10)?
Mrs. Marjorie Nolan CohnMrs. Marjorie Nolan Cohn
Coenzyme Q10, also known as CoQ10, is produced by the human body and is necessary for basic function...
Should I tell my cardiologist that I take a CoQ10 supplement?
Richard T. Leshner, DORichard T. Leshner, DO
You should tell your cardiologist that you take a coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) supplement. CoQ10 may be used...
Are Nutritional Supplement Labels Accurate?