Can larch arabinogalactan boost my immune system?

There’s some preliminary evidence that larch arabinogalactan, an extract from the bark of the larch tree, may boost the immune system, which in turn could help ward off colds.

In one of the most interesting studies, conducted in 2010, people who took powdered larch arabinogalactan every day had a stronger response to a pneumonia vaccine than people who took a similar-looking, similar-tasting powder that didn’t contain the extract.

Other studies show that larch arabinogalactan can rev up the immune cells that hunt and gobble up germy intruders such as bacteria. It also boosts other bacteria-fighting activities of the immune system. Larch arabinogalactan may help ward off ear infections, which frequently add to the unpleasantness of children’s colds. 

Studies are underway to see if the extract reduces the number of colds people catch.

Larch arabinogalactan has a mild taste and easily dissolves in water or juice. Even better, it’s FDA-approved as a source of dietary fiber, so you needn’t have any safety concerns if you want to give it a try. It's meant to be taken daily, so don't wait until the first sneeze or sniffle.

Larch arabinogalactan is a natural immune support supplement available at your local drug store and has been tested in several clinical trials. A double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial that included 204 healthy adults found that those taking larch arabinogalactan supplements were 57% more likely to stay healthy than non-users. The health measurement looked at the impact on the non-inflammatory, IgG adaptive immune response, when exposed to an  immune challenge.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

News: More Than 700 Supplements Tainted With Prescription Drugs
Half of all US adults take dietary supplements, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, believing these pills, powders and drinks...
Has larch arabinogalactan been clinically studied?
Larch arabinogalactan has been studied since the 1970s, but in the 1990s research started looking at...
What is the nutritional value of honey?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Honey is a source of riboflavin and vitamin B6. It also provides iron and manganese. A 3.5 oz. (100 ...
What Should I Beware of Before Buying Vitamins and Supplements?