How can I select corn for purchase?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Since picked corn goes through rapid conversions from sugar to starch, whether from the farmer's market or supermarket, it is best to buy corn that has been stored in a cool environment or refrigerated. Visually inspect the corn husks, and choose those that still look fresh, with minimal drying. You can pull the husk back and down to check the kernels. If they are fresh and well hydrated, they should look turgid and tightly packed. If you pierce a kernel with your fingernail, a milky white liquid should flow out.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Unapproved Prescription Drugs Sold in Supplements
When major league baseball suspended Alex Rodriguez for using performance-enhancing steroids, they also cleaned up clubhouses across the country. Too ...
What supplements should I take if I'm on a slow-carb diet?
Tim FerrissTim Ferriss
I suggest potassium, magnesium, and calcium. This diet will cause you to lose excess water, and elec...
Do I need nutrient supplements to maintain heart health?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
In general, a well-balanced diet that limits fats and carbohydrates -- meaning a diet of fruits and ...
What Supplements Strengthen Hair?
What Supplements Strengthen Hair?