Should I let my doctor know I’m taking a medical nutrition supplement?

It is important to tell your doctor all the medications, herbal remedies, and nutritional supplements that you are taking. A lot of these medications can be dangerous in themselves and haven't been tested by the FDA. Others can interfere with other medications you are taking.
Brian Tanzer
Your physician should know all dietary supplements you're taking, especially if you are taking prescription medications. Since there is potential for interaction, reduced/increased drug effectiveness when taking certain supplements, always let your physician know what you're nutritional supplements you're taking.

In addition, some prescription medications can reduce the absorption of essential nutrients. For example, commonly-prescribed Proton-pump inhibitors (acid reducers) such as Nexium, Prilosec, Prevacid and AciPhex for heartburn, ulcers, etc. can reduce the absorption of vitamin B12 and calcium. This is just one of many examples, and an important reason to let your physician know what nutritional supplements you take.

Just a word of advice. There are some physicians not trained in the use of nutritional supplements. If you are prescribed a medication such as the class mentioned above, do your "homework" so you know the potential side effects and don't be embarrassed to discuss them with your physician.
Vandana  R. Sheth
Absolutely! In fact, it is better to first discuss your interest in taking a medical nutrition supplement with your physician prior to starting.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Dietary Supplements

Whether you're visiting the drug store, grocery or natural food shop you'll likely find an aisle where there are jars and bottles of things for you to put in your body that are neither foods nor medicines. Ranging from vitamins an...

d minerals to fiber and herbal remedies, these supplements are not regulated in the same way as either food or medicine. Some of them are backed by solid research, others are folk remedies or proprietary cures. If your diet does not include enough of certain vitamins or minerals, a supplement may be a good idea. Natural treatment for conditions like constipation may be effective. But because these substances are unregulated, it is always a good idea to educate yourself about the products and to use common sense when taking them. This is even more true if you are pregnant or taking a medicine that may be affected by supplements.