Should I let my doctor know I’m taking a medical nutrition supplement?

Vandana  R. Sheth
Absolutely! In fact, it is better to first discuss your interest in taking a medical nutrition supplement with your physician prior to starting.
Brian Tanzer
Your physician should know all dietary supplements you're taking, especially if you are taking prescription medications. Since there is potential for interaction, reduced/increased drug effectiveness when taking certain supplements, always let your physician know what you're nutritional supplements you're taking.

In addition, some prescription medications can reduce the absorption of essential nutrients. For example, commonly-prescribed Proton-pump inhibitors (acid reducers) such as Nexium, Prilosec, Prevacid and AciPhex for heartburn, ulcers, etc. can reduce the absorption of vitamin B12 and calcium. This is just one of many examples, and an important reason to let your physician know what nutritional supplements you take.

Just a word of advice. There are some physicians not trained in the use of nutritional supplements. If you are prescribed a medication such as the class mentioned above, do your "homework" so you know the potential side effects and don't be embarrassed to discuss them with your physician.
It is important to tell your doctor all the medications, herbal remedies, and nutritional supplements that you are taking. A lot of these medications can be dangerous in themselves and haven't been tested by the FDA. Others can interfere with other medications you are taking.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

The Importance of Supplement Safety
The Importance of Supplement Safety
In 2002, the two-year-old daughter of Jude Law attended a children’s party at London’s Soho House Club. It was reported that while there, she swallowe...
What are smart drug brain supplements?
Carolyn D. Brockington, MDCarolyn D. Brockington, MD
"Smart drug" brain supplements contain collections of compounds that are supposed to improve the hea...
Which supplement can boost my metabolism?
If your expanding belly is the result of a slowing metabolism, then 7-Keto may be the supplement...
Should I Tell My Doctor About the Supplements I'm Taking?