What are the health benefits of propolis?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine
Propolis is a product of tree sap mixed with bee secretions that is used by bees to protect against bacteria, viruses, and fungi. Propolis is unfortunately lost in honey processing, thus greatly reducing the level of phytochemicals known to protect against germs; recent research suggests that these may also prevent certain types of cancer.

Within the propolis are well-researched phytochemicals that have cancer-preventing and antitumor properties. These substances include caffeic acid, methyl caffeate, phenylethyl caffeate, and phenylethyl dimethylcaffeate. Researchers have discovered that these substances in propolis prevent colon cancer in animals by shutting down the activity of two enzymes, phosphatidylinositol-specific phospholipase C and lipoxygenase, involved in the production of cancer-causing compounds.
Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

The Importance of Supplement Safety
The Importance of Supplement Safety
In 2002, the two-year-old daughter of Jude Law attended a children’s party at London’s Soho House Club. It was reported that while there, she swallowe...
What is the nutritional value of bee pollen?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Bee pollen is often referred to as "nature's most perfect food" because it is a complete protein (ty...
Who should use whey as a protein supplement?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
When you were little you probably remember hearing talk about Little Miss Muffet eating her curds an...
How Do I Know If I Need a Supplement?
How Do I Know If I Need a Supplement?