Why is it difficult to eat a balanced diet in later life?

Maintaining good nutrition in later life can be challenging because aging leads to loss of organ function and impaired internal balance -- what is called “homeostasis.” Some diseases and environmental factors also can increase nutritional risks for older adults.

While most general advice on diet and nutrition holds true as we age, specific recommendations geared to older adults’ particular needs become increasingly important. Advice on diet and nutrition must also take their personal preferences into account.

Age-related changes in taste and smell can influence food choices as well. And, of course, ease of preparation affects what older people may choose to eat. Consequently, more attention to food choices is vitally important to ensure a healthy diet containing all of the necessary nutrients.

Continue Learning about Diet & Nutrition

3 Healthy Antioxidants You May Not Know About
The antioxidant action of polyphenols, such as those found in red grapes, gets lots of credit for protecting the heart. But can you name any of them? ...
Is there a specialist that can help me with my diet?
Nadine PazderNadine Pazder
A Registered Dietitian is the expert to help you with your diet. Before you make an appointment with...
6 Hidden Sources of Sugar
6 Hidden Sources of Sugar6 Hidden Sources of Sugar6 Hidden Sources of Sugar6 Hidden Sources of Sugar
Find out which everyday foods hide a shockingly high amount of sugar.
How Can Adding Cocoa Powder to My Diet Help Me Lose Weight?