What foods should I limit while on a regular diet?

Heather R. Mangieri

A regular diet means that there are no dietary restrictions but it is still important to follow a healthy diet. That means limiting total fat to less than 30% of total calories, limiting saturated fat to less than 10% of total calories and limiting trans fat to less than 1% of total calories.

A regular healthy diet should also limit sugar to no more than 100 calories/day (about 6 tsp.) for woman and 150 calories/day (about 9 tsp.) for men.

Lastly, limit sodium to 2300 mg/day.

Continue Learning about Diet & Nutrition

Meet the New Nutrition Powerhouse: Leafy Greens
Heart-shaped leaves and a peppery punch make watercress a foodie favorite in salads and sandwiches. And recently, this leafy green took the top rankin...
How can I gain weight?
Stefanie Sacks, MSStefanie Sacks, MS
Gaining weight takes different forms for everyone. I like to advise people to choose nutritionally a...
Top 5 Best Cities (and the 5 Worst!) for Nutrition
Top 5 Best Cities (and the 5 Worst!) for NutritionTop 5 Best Cities (and the 5 Worst!) for NutritionTop 5 Best Cities (and the 5 Worst!) for NutritionTop 5 Best Cities (and the 5 Worst!) for Nutrition
Find out where people eat a healthy diet and where diets could use a makeover.
Can Pasta Be Healthy?
Can Pasta Be Healthy?