What foods should I eat to boost my metabolism as I get older?

Brian Tanzer

Unfortunately a slower metabolism comes with the aging process. The best way to approach this is to try and avoid as best you can, the loss of lean muscle mass. The more muscle you have, the more efficient your body is at burning calories. Making sure you consume adequate protein from fish, chicken and lean meat, as well as beans and low-fat dairy can help maintain lean muscle mass. In addition, protein has a higher Thermic Effect of Food (TEF). This means that the body uses more calories to digest, absorb and metabolize protein than it does carbohydrates and fat. These things will help keep your metabolism at peak efficiency.

By the time you hit 35, your metabolism -- the amount of calories the body converts to energy to maintain itself -- starts to slow down. To defy this frustrating reality, you need to eat metabolism-boosting foods:
  • Button Mushrooms: A rich source of CLA (conjugated linoleic acid), a good fat that actually helps to burn other fats off and increase lean body mass. Eat just half a cup every other day.
  • Pine Nuts: High in polyunsaturated fats, pine nuts may help you burn calories at a higher rate even when you're not very being active. Eat 2 tablespoons 3 times a week.
  • Balsamic Vinegar: The acetic acid found in balsamic vinegar helps activate genes that burn fat and increases satiety, so you feel fuller. Eat two tablespoons with meals, whenever possible, and mix with a little olive oil to replace other salad dressings.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Diet & Nutrition