What should my diet and fitness goals be if I'm an older adult?

F. Michael Gloth, III
Geriatric Medicine
Don't think about changing your diet as simply restricting the food you eat, but as a change in your eating patterns and behavior that will optimize your overall health and fitness. Keep in mind that your goal is to achieve a desirable protein-to-fat ratio, and to eat only a minimum amount of simple sugars.

Your overall plan should include participating in other activities, including physical activity, which will help keep your mind off of food. If you spend more time in activities that don't involve eating, you will become more productive, make a greater contribution to society, and enhance your personal growth.
Fit at Fifty and Beyond: A Balanced Exercise and Nutrition Program (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

As people reach their fifties, the body’s metabolism slows. Without a change in eating or exercise habits, it’s common to put on weight and become less able to perform routine physical...

Continue Learning about Diet & Nutrition