Is there a specialist that can help me with my diet?

Nadine Pazder
A Registered Dietitian is the expert to help you with your diet. Before you make an appointment with anyone for nutrition guidance make sure he/she is an RD. You can check on RD status through the Commission on Dietetic Registration.
To learn the basics, and become a pro at planning healthy meals for yourself or family members, ask your health care provider for a referral to a registered dietitian who also specializes in diabetes – this person is called a Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE).
Laura Motosko, MSEd, RD

A Registered Dietitian (RD) is a food and nutrition expert that is trained to help you with your diet. The RD provides individualized nutrition assessment including estimated energy and nutrient needs, medical nutrition therapy, meal planning, food-drug interaction education and much more. RDs specialize in many areas including weight management, and chronic disease states.

Bethany Thayer
Absolutely! A registered dietitian (look for the "RD" credentials) should be a part of your healthcare team. Registered dietitians are the nutrition experts with the education, training and expertise to provide you with not only the information you need but can also provide you with practical ways to incorporate that information in to your life. And while you may see people calling themselves "nutritionists," remember that in many states this term can be used by anyone, regardless of their educational background or training. Visit www.eatright.org to find an RD with the specialty you need near you.
Sari Greaves
When it comes to diet, you deserve customized advice that fits your individual health needs, lifestyle, and personal food preferences. A registered dietitian is a food and nutrition expert who has completed nationally accredited training in the field of nutrition. To locate a dietitian near you or to simply enjoy a daily diet tip, visit www.eatright.org.  

Continue Learning about Diet & Nutrition

Is Red Meat Really That Bad For You?
Is Red Meat Really That Bad For You?
Whether it’s grilled at neighborhood cookouts, offered at stadium hot dog stands or cooked up for a family dinner, it’s not hard to find red meat on t...
How important is diet to my health and wellness?
Chippenham Hospital - HCA VirginiaChippenham Hospital - HCA Virginia
An article in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) last year showed that among 17 ...
5 Ways Your Lunch Is Making You Fat
5 Ways Your Lunch Is Making You Fat5 Ways Your Lunch Is Making You Fat5 Ways Your Lunch Is Making You Fat5 Ways Your Lunch Is Making You Fat
What you're adding to your salad and spreading on your sandwich could be causing unwanted weight gain.
Why Should I Cut Down on "Empty Calories?"