What is the most important crop in the world?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Grains are without question the most important food crop in the world, literally the "staff of life" for most people on this planet. Historically, grains have fueled the growth of civilization, and as the earth's population continues to grow, our reliance on grains is greater than ever. A grain is most often the seed of a member of the grass family and is usually referred to as a "cereal" grain. The word "cereal" is derived from Ceres, the Roman goddess of agriculture.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Diet & Nutrition

Foods That Cure
Foods That Cure
Every winter, my hands get painfully dry and cracked, and my lips start flaking. I was complaining about it to a friend, who told me that coconut oil ...
How can I start eating healthier?
Laura Motosko, MSEd, RDLaura Motosko, MSEd, RD
Eating healthy requires planning. Make a grocery list and keep your refrigerator and cupboards stock...
6 Hidden Sources of Sugar
6 Hidden Sources of Sugar6 Hidden Sources of Sugar6 Hidden Sources of Sugar6 Hidden Sources of Sugar
Find out which everyday foods hide a shockingly high amount of sugar.
How Can Adding Cocoa Powder to My Diet Help Me Lose Weight?