How does what I eat affect my body?

Dr. Mark Hyman, MD
Family Medicine
Food is not just calories -- it’s actually instructions. This has been a big discovery in the last 20-30 years. Food is information. Literally every bite tells your body what to do: to gain or lose weight or to turn on or off different hormones, like insulin, which can make huge differences in the way it affects your neurotransmitters, your brain chemistry, and even your genes. Even the bacteria in your gut (your gut flora) are affected by what you eat. So, we send our body messages, literally, with what we’re eating.

Continue Learning about Diet & Nutrition

Want to Live Longer? Add Beans to Your Diet
Want to live longer? Try adding more veggies—especially fiber-rich beans—to your diet. Doing this may increase production in your gas pipeline for a w...
What is a healthy salsa recipe?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
Black Bean and Corn Salsa Serves: 8 Ingredients 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans or 1 (15 ounce) no...
The Best Nuts for Your Health
The Best Nuts for Your HealthThe Best Nuts for Your HealthThe Best Nuts for Your HealthThe Best Nuts for Your Health
Nuts can up your heart health, lower cholesterol—and even help you live longer.
How Does Taste Impact Our Metabolic Process?