How does what I eat affect my appetite?

Dr. Mark Hyman, MD
Family Medicine
Your brain is wired to eat food when the body triggers certain hormones. That makes it very hard to control eating with willpower. However, if you focus on what you eat, you don’t have to worry about what you eat because your body will naturally reset that wiring. However, you do have to eat the right fats.

For example, when you eat sugar or carbs, it turns on your fat storage system. It makes you store fat in your belly. It makes you hungry, and it makes your metabolism slow down. That prevents fat from being burned or freed from fat cells.

When you eat fat, the opposite happens. You don’t simulate insulin, which is the fat storage hormone that gets triggered by sugar and carbs.

If you eat fat without all the refined sugars and carbs, it actually makes you less hungry, speeds up your metabolism, and triggers more fat burning. So, you free more fat and lose weight without being hungry. You feel good from eating delicious foods that are creamy, luscious and savory as opposed to starving yourself with low-fat cardboard.

Continue Learning about Diet & Nutrition