How can I determine the amount of change needed in my diet?

Susan S. Blum, MD
Preventive Medicine

The best thing to do is keep a food journal for 1 week. Write down everything you are eating so you can get a better idea of your daily habits. Take a note of how much sugary drinks, cookies, ice cream, coffee, alcohol, white bread, you are eating, and if there are a lot, you will have more to change. But also notice if you are eating fruit and vegetables every day, if you are eating nuts, seeds and legumes (beans). If not, then bringing these foods into your diet is another change you will need to make.

Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Preventive Medicine
If the issue is determining calorie needs, a dietitian can calculate that for you. There are online tools -- and body composition machines will often provide this information as well.

Continue Learning about Diet & Nutrition