How can I determine the amount of change needed in my diet?

Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Preventive Medicine
If the issue is determining calorie needs, a dietitian can calculate that for you. There are online tools -- and body composition machines will often provide this information as well.
Susan S. Blum, MD
Preventive Medicine

The best thing to do is keep a food journal for 1 week. Write down everything you are eating so you can get a better idea of your daily habits. Take a note of how much sugary drinks, cookies, ice cream, coffee, alcohol, white bread, you are eating, and if there are a lot, you will have more to change. But also notice if you are eating fruit and vegetables every day, if you are eating nuts, seeds and legumes (beans). If not, then bringing these foods into your diet is another change you will need to make.

Continue Learning about Diet & Nutrition

Who's Coming to Dinner?
Who's Coming to Dinner?
Your dinner companions might have something to do with how much you end up scarfing down. Case in point: When women in a study dined with men, they t...
How can I change my diet to help reduce acne?
Kulreet Chaudhary, MDKulreet Chaudhary, MD
From an ayurvedic perspective, the health of your skin is directly related to your diet. In fact, on...
5 Healthy Foods That Bring Good Luck in the New Year
5 Healthy Foods That Bring Good Luck in the New Year5 Healthy Foods That Bring Good Luck in the New Year5 Healthy Foods That Bring Good Luck in the New Year5 Healthy Foods That Bring Good Luck in the New Year
 Feast for good fortune with these lucky (and healthy!) foods.
Too Much Sugar May Dull Your Memory
Too Much Sugar May Dull Your Memory