How can I determine the amount of change needed in my diet?

Susan S. Blum, MD
Preventive Medicine

The best thing to do is keep a food journal for 1 week. Write down everything you are eating so you can get a better idea of your daily habits. Take a note of how much sugary drinks, cookies, ice cream, coffee, alcohol, white bread, you are eating, and if there are a lot, you will have more to change. But also notice if you are eating fruit and vegetables every day, if you are eating nuts, seeds and legumes (beans). If not, then bringing these foods into your diet is another change you will need to make.

Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Preventive Medicine
If the issue is determining calorie needs, a dietitian can calculate that for you. There are online tools -- and body composition machines will often provide this information as well.

Continue Learning about Diet & Nutrition

Boost the Benefits of Blueberries
Boost the Benefits of Blueberries
Get more nutrition from your blueberries by tossing them into a steamy bowl of oatmeal instead of cold cereal and milk. Why? Because a study revealed...
What is a healthy baked chicken recipe?
Marjorie Nolan CohnMarjorie Nolan Cohn
Squash and Chicken Bake8 servings Active Time: 45 minutesTotal Time: 2 hours 25 minutesIngredients ...
7 Ways to Spruce Up Your Salad
7 Ways to Spruce Up Your Salad7 Ways to Spruce Up Your Salad7 Ways to Spruce Up Your Salad7 Ways to Spruce Up Your Salad
Kale isn't the only good-for-you green.
What Are the Health Benefits of Red Bell Peppers?